Saturday, December 20, 2014

Casting Off


Hi there. It's me again. I hope you're doing well. I'm literally waiting for a pizza to arrive at my apartment and figured I'd work on something in the interim. Thanks for indulging me. So, as of late I've been hard at work on a new story. It's an idea I've had for a long time and it's seen many iterations over the years. For whatever reason I was never able to see the bread rise on any of the directions I took on it previously.

This happens to me from time to time. I try to figure out what it is I'm trying to say and what story the characters are trying to tell me. I wasn't able to crack the story until I was driving home one night and the solution just drifted into my head out of no where. I don't think there's anything better than when you finally solve a long standing problem you're having with a given story. 

Because I knew of how many issues I had in the past with this story I really wanted to change up how I worked on it. I wrote in new locations, listened to different music during editing, etc. The biggest change I made was deciding to cast the main characters. A process I had never attempted before, but decided to experiment with.

The idea behind this is to fully visualize who is playing each "role" by using actors to cast each of the parts.

I have to admit it was a lot of fun and definitely added a new energy to the project. It's not an approach I'm sure if I'll use again, but was a fun experiment to help work through some droughts of writer's block. If there's any interest perhaps I'll post my cast list at some point once the story is released. 

Shifting gears for a bit ... I'm part of an anthology that's just been released entitled STORIES ON THE GO and features 101 works of flash fiction from -- you guessed it -- 101 authors. All the stories are quick reads. I definitely recommend checking it out to support indie authors. Also, it's FREE. So there's no reason not to pick it up.

Okay, so there's pizza I have to eat and a movie to watch. 

Till next time ... 

Be excellent to each other.



2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading "Ghost Box". Picked it up last night and read until 3 am, which means I didn't, or couldn't, put it down. You combine detective and the unnatural together in a very creepy, wonderful way and I loved it! Well done. Looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Valenchia. That means a lot! I'm so glad that you had a chance to read it and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Be on the look out for my next project.

      Delete